Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Ways to Spend Election Day


Finally, the infamous November 7, 2006 has arrived.

I have to admit: I am excited. I know, I have been dreading this date a little for the past few months because, in part, I like hearing the polls and analysis. I don't watch enough tv to be terribly annoyed by the commercials and I don't live in a state so no one is calling me about issues and candidates. Mainly, though, I enjoy the anticipation of a possible change. After today, though, I'll have to say, well, maybe in 2 years...not unlike how I say every October, "well, maybe the Cubs will win it 'all' next year." right. right.

But the political atmostphere gets me anyway. I say I have no hope when, in fact, though I genuinely have very little, I do have an ounce or two that comes alive on these days.

and so today: how shall we spend it?

1. Voting
2. Glaring at people with "George Allen" or "Michael Steele" or "Bob Erlich" stickers worn oh so proudly on their blazers.
3. Eating well--because Election Day should be a holiday.
4. trying something new--like voting Democratic if you are a Republican and/or trying the cheesy gordita crunch if you haven't yet.
5. making a mental note: the cheesy gordita crunch goes off the menu November 19. another important date to add to the calendar.
6. listen to Wilco because a little Yankee Hotel Foxtrot will put your mind at ease, at least temporarily and because Wilco is so lovely that the only image which pops up on their homepage, wilcoworld.net, today is the above image. They are in the spirit. Please join them. I listened to THF as I cast my all-important votes in the District of Columbia this morning. It was exhilarating.
7. Avoid arguments.

And yeah, do anything else you want because regardless of the election results, Bush and Cheney will still be on the airwaves, reminding us to be very, very fearful for our safety. They will, per usual, fail to mention that the policies they've enacted and actions they've taken in the last 6 years are the very reasons for which we Americans are afraid.

Cheers.

2 Comments:

Blogger anne altman said...

without terror, there'd be no love

12:00:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

haha.
thank you.

and thanks for the correction.

2:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home