Tuesday, January 30, 2007

What's in a Color?

A lot, my friends.

I have some opinions about the Northeast. I know it's often beautiful and quaint and sometimes trashy and plain, but always...always...i feel like there are a lot of pretentious natures living up there. yes, i have wonderful friends in the northeast who are not pretentious...though i wonder if they secretly frown upon the midwest and south. i am pretty sure most Northeasterners frown upon the rest of the country--possibly California stretches their prejudiced minds because, you know, california is ridiculously cool, like it or not.

Some in Londonberry, NH created quite a stink recently when they learned that a Taco Bell/KFC would come to their lovely little town. No, it's not that they didn't want fast food nation to become a part of their lives, thus reminding them that they are part of this country. Rather, they didn't think the colors and design of the restaurant would "fit" into their New England town. To quote a "palette" commission member: "It sticks out sorely in New England. It fits in perfectly in Arizona."

So you see, the rest of the country, like Arizona, is tacky. Insults! Pretention!

I am going to say a bold statement and might lose some friends in the process: sometimes i think New England acts a little like Texas when it comes to this "we are better than the rest of the country" attitude. Sure, they are more liberal and therefore certainly have a higher standing in my book but, well, there is a "but". In the midwest, we just go about our business: we are not better, we are not worse. we are one--we are americans. haha. okay, well we are better than texas...

Well, maybe i should cut those in londonberry some slack--after all, they don't have crunchwraps and chalupas at their disposal. i guess they are cranky with a cause.

anyway, here's the article.

4 Comments:

Blogger anne altman said...

hahahaha it's londonDerry, my dear.

love,
a new england snob

10:20:00 AM  
Blogger anne altman said...

londonBerry is funnier though...

and yes, i agree, a lot of it is "not in my backyard" mentality. you'd better not patronize the KFC 25 miles out of town if you signed the petition to keep one out of your own .

10:22:00 AM  
Blogger whipcreamy said...

HA HA HA...you know, my friend Kerri is from Derry, which neighbors Londonderry. Two weeks ago we went to a concert in Londonderry and I asked her mother what the different was between Derry and Londonderry. Her response? Derry: blue collar Londonderry: white collar (and while she said white collar she waved her hand across her nose). It's an interesting scenario the whole "not in our backyard" mentality. I mean, I would LOVE a taco bell her in Beverly. I would welcome it with open arms, but that is because I live in a city. Londonderry is farms, and so is blue collar Derry. I don't know...Londonderry is not even a fast food town. It's a very quiet neighborhood...if I wanted to live in the boring suburbs I would. But I think there if I wanted a peaceful town I would not want a taco bell either...

as for the new england thing, YES, we live in a bubble, but not like a Florida bubble. Which leads me to my next question: what's outside the bubble?

10:32:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

or who's outside the bubble? i guess every section of the country is in a bubble. and that can probably be said within many cities as well. certainly boston, nyc, and washington.

florida has some bubbles too. the retirement community bubble. the Florida State bubble (which is filled with beer).

4:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home