Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Love at First Bite


So, as planned, I went to Taco Bell last night. It was terribly romantic, also as planned, but managed still to exceed expectations. Reason: I might have fallen head over heals in love.

I ordered the enchirito as my new thing. I didn't know what an enchirito was and had never even noticed it on the menu. I did recall from an earlier finding that it was on the Taco Bell menu in 1977 and then had asked myself, when seeing that, "what the hell is an enchirito?"

Well, folks, now I can tell you: it is DELICIOUS. Seriously, I was SHOCKED by the taste of this bean-filled item. It was like the crunchwrap experience. It's rare that I come across surprisingly wonderful things and even rarer when these things have been around awhile.

I do not know what makes the enchirito so spectacular. It generally comes filled with beans and beef (I went for beans only), topped with a tangy red sauce and cheese. the filling is not like a bean burrito, lacking the onions, sauce, and cheese, and the tortilla is smaller (I suppose the size of the soft taco tortilla). It sounds so simple! I think the key to its success is the way the tangy sauce combines with the cheese. And the staff is heavy handed on both items! It was a remarkable experience. Afterwards, I immediately texted Whipcreamy "the enchirito is AMAZING", and I am sparse in my usage of caps. Yet they are peppered throughout this post which is clearly a sign of love and instant devotation.

Last I spoke to Whipcreamy, she was on her way to Taco Bell for an enchirito--a first for her as well. I haven't heard the feedback, but I know that the enchirito has, already, earned a special place in my stomach...and heart.

Oh, I should add: Hope tried my enchirito and was also very pleased: so much so that she bought one to bring to her mom. Yep, the enchirito is the new black. or green. or whatever color is currently so in, it's almost out.

4 Comments:

Blogger anne altman said...

I DO BELIEVE I WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO SAY 'BRING BACK THE ENCHIRITO', N'EST PAS? ? ?

the sauce looks divine.

10:39:00 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

you were, oh learned one! and i didn't even know what that meant. for shame.

10:57:00 AM  
Blogger whipcreamy said...

yes...i tried the enchirito and i must say that it is the only item at taco bell that truly tastes like it came out of a mexican kitchen. the sauce tastes like it is authentic! The only problem I had was that it is not "good to go" as they say. aaron and i went through the drive thru...hahaha...taco bell uses thru. and when they gave it to us i opened the plastic take-home covering...the red sauce spilled on my knees and the whole thing was just damn hot...so i suggest you eat it at the restaurant...thanks for the suggestion liz!

1:50:00 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

i don't know about the burbs. probably. they have it all! i guess the enchirito is very much like an enchilada but tb is trying to be all different and make up a word. but i don't know spanish so maybe it isn't a made up word.

2:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home