Thursday, April 13, 2006

This is just the beginning...

I received the "Taco Titan" yesterday. That's right: the long awaited (okay, a week awaited) biography about Glen Bell, the founder of Taco Bell. There's a picture in the book of Glen with his wife (well, a woman) at the dinner table wherein he is wearing the crazy hat he's wearing on the cover of the book (see blog entry "Holy Taco" for a refresher). I didn't have a moment to skim the book any further, but the knowledge that Glen wore this sombrero at dinner, not just for book covers, is worth the shipping and handling charge.

That said: Today, I'll discuss the backcover of "Taco Titan".

Back cover first: (i am going to copy the best bullet points)
  • At 16, Glen Bell rode the rails across America looking for work.
  • He built an innovative restaurant near a drive-in owned by brothers named McDonald, who borrowed his ideas (boo-ya!)
  • His early partners were entertainer Phil Crosby and L.A. Rams football stars.
  • And today at Bell Gardens, he uses his wealth to benefit children, runs his own train, and battles disability with the same determination he used to build Taco Bell.

WOW! That last bullet point is a gem. We'll cover "what is Bell Gardens?" another day (and surely a field trip will be required). But most importantly we know that he is using his passion for taco making to battle disability!!! What a guy! The cure for disability (all disabilities, i assume) has been found. Dare I say--Mission Accomplished. And on top of battling disability, he runs his own train.

I'm a little overwhelmed by just this one page so I must end this post. Before I do, though, let me leave you with the author's biography: Debra Lee Baldwin is an award-winning writer who specializes in profiling people who have made outstanding contributions to our culture.

One can only imagine what other biographies she's written. I think very few others fall into this "outstanding contribution to our culture" category.

3 Comments:

Blogger whipcreamy said...

WOW!!!!!! I want to go to Bell Gardens! It sounds like Busch Gardens, but cooler. I bet it is like neverland ranch, excpet there is no micheal and the colors are all purple, pink, and turquoise. I can't wait to get me hands on that book. I am sure it's good to go.

11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I hadn't noticed the amazon rating. good stuff, ash. why am i at work when i should be home, reading about taco bell.
i don't think gardening constitutes "outstanding contributions to our culture" but how many debra lee baldwins can there be?

1:22:00 PM  
Blogger anne altman said...

what is bell gardens
what disability
i want details dammit

11:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home