Friday, April 14, 2006

Mexican Restaurants

So I have a point of contention to discuss.

Last evening, I went to a popular downtown Mexican restaurant. This is the only good Mexican restaurant with a large and inviting outdoor seating area in a three mile radius. We arrived before six to snag a table--but obviously we didn't want to finish our meal by 6:30.

So: we ordered margaritas, ate chips, and I took my time in deciding on a menu item. Our waiter was NOT pleased. Finally, feeling pressure, I ordered, scared that he might kill me (and surely he spit on my food). I understand the faster people order and eat and leave, the more money he makes, but waiters must understand that if our main goal is to stuff ourselves silly with beans and cheese, we'd go the cheap route via Taco Bell. Unfortunately, Taco Bells in DC don't have rooftop dining or margaritas so if we patrons want to enjoy a relaxing dinner with good company at an outdoor tables, we cannot spend the evening at Taco Bell.

I don't think this is an demanding request. I don't believe that having a long dinner should be reason for the waiter not to look us in the eyes by time we are actually ready (forced) to leave. I've never been eviled not-eyed out of Taco Bell.

Solution: more outdoor seating in Taco Bells. In cute neighborhood (urban) settings. Is this a no-win situation?

2 Comments:

Blogger whipcreamy said...

and also...wine margaritas at taco bell...the liquor licence will be a hard obstacle, but getting wine and beer could be easier. have you ever had a wine margarita? they are frigging good! i can just see it...outdoor seating taco bell, wine margaritas, and me with my crunchwrap, bean burrito with no onions, and OFCOURSE....mild sauces galore!

11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

both very good suggestions: i feel better about my conundrum--that others feel this pain.

yes, that waiter was rude. i suppose this means i shouldn't return.

and erin, that scenario is wonderful. a dream, really.

1:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home